Happy spring, brownie lovers!
Spring is finally here, and I’m sure you are all excited too for this cold, snowy winter to be over. For most of us, this winter was extra long, so I’m certain everyone is going to want to be outside as soon as the sun comes out and warmth inches toward us. In anticipation and preparation for the warm weather, here’s a list of 10 fun things to do this spring! Many are for outdoors, but a few are things to do indoors for those days with spring showers.
1. Organize a scavenger hunt around your neighborhood or a local park! You can do this no matter what age, whether with friends or your kids. Everyone enjoys the excitement of feeling like they’re discovering treasure. Write clues to send people to the next destination and the final prize could be a delicious batch of brownies!
2. Plan a picnic! Choose a local park or just enjoy a picnic in your backyard. For those of you who live in NYC, you might choose one of the many beautiful spots in Central Park or Prospect Park. Bring a big blanket and enjoy good food (brownies included) and good friends (or family) in the sun.
3. Declare a Pajama Day! Plan a day where no one gets out of his or her pajamas. Pajama Day includes indulging in your favorite treats (brownies perhaps?), as well as watching movies and playing board games. This can be a perfect family-bonding day or works wonderfully as a solo activity. It provides a chance to take a break and recharge from our often overscheduled and hectic lives.
4. Go bike riding! For many people, bike riding is something they haven’t done since childhood, but it is a fun way to exercise while enjoying the sun on your face and the wind in your hair. Combine this with idea #2 and go for a bike ride to a park or an open area and bring a picnic basket with you! Rest and refuel before your ride back.
5. Flex your chef muscles! For rainy days, try new recipes or create a few of your own and try out some new dishes. You might offer a buffet of your creations to your friends or family. For those of you with small kids, have your children help you cook! Naturally, you’ll need dessert too, so experiment with a new brownie flavor and let me know how it turns out!
6. Go to a baseball game! Many people have never experienced a baseball game and even if you are not a fan of the sport, it is a good opportunity to spend time socializing with friends. There are affordable tickets for every stadium so it doesn’t have to put a dent in your bank account. Most stadiums will let you bring your own brownies in, too. 😉
7. Go on a trip to the zoo! Take a group of friends, go with your kids, or invite your significant other to look at the animals that have also been hibernating all winter. This is a great weekend plan for when the weather gets nice and warm.
8. Form or join a running or walking group! Many people feel inclined to work out during the spring to get a beach body for the summer and many also need motivation to stay on track with their work outs. Teaming with a buddy or two is the perfect solution.
9. For the ladies, have a spa day! On a rainy day, have all of your girlfriends come over and have a relaxing day painting each other’s nails and giving each other makeovers. It doesn’t matter what age you are; a day with your girlfriends is always fantastic (especially if you have brownies).
10. Plant a garden! Make your backyard a more beautiful place by planting new flowers this season. If you don’t have a backyard, plant a window box, or fill a few small pots to line a windowsill. You might enlist your family or friends to help, by having each person choose a different flower, that way everyone has left his or her own individual mark.
What are some of your ideas for enjoying spring? I would love to hear what you are planning! I hope you try out some of these fun adventures and have the best spring to date!